Monday 29 December 2014

Fitness Fads and New Year's Resolutions



It's almost the end of the year which means the blogosphere will soon be swimming in resolutions to lose weight, join the gym and get more sleep.  There's nothing wrong with this.  I've been there, year after year, penning my list of resolutions and deciding that this will be the year I actually stick to them.  I'm a great advocate for not needing a new year to spark a change but there's something about January that just seems to work well for resolutions.

This year I've decided to do something different.  Yesterday, 28th December, I started working on my new year's resolutions. I'm hoping that without the pressure of starting in 2015 and having to stick it out to the end of January, I might be more successful.  Also, I'm going to blog about it here so I have you lot to respond to if I don't keep it up!

I want to be healthier.  I'm going to do it the old-fashioned way though by eating better and moving more.  No more fad fitness regimes or diets.  I've started running.  For those of you that know me, this may come as a bit of a shock.  I hate running.  2015 isn't going to be the year I run a marathon but I'm hoping I may be able to get round a 5K without collapsing in the near future.  I started the Couch to 5K programme at the start of the summer (yeah I realise it's only supposed to take nine weeks to complete but see above: "I hate running").  I'm now on week seven and running continuously for 25 minutes which is something I never thought would happen when I was wheezing just running down the road at week one.

Why am I running if I hate it?  Good question.  Yes, there are plenty of other ways to get fitter but I have to pass a fitness test which involves running so it's necessary.  Apart from that, I kind of want to conquer that childhood belief that I was rubbish at running and maybe find out why so many people actually enjoy it.

So, this is the start of my health revolution.  It's not going to be one of those fad diets with instant results but if you want to follow my journey of trying to learn to love running, then be sure to follow me on bloglovin or any of my other social media.

-Jenny :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment